    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.19-pre3
    On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Jens Axboe wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, Mar 13 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Jens,
    > > >
    > > > Please try again because that is not the real problem.
    > > > All you have shown is that we disagree on the method of page walking
    > > > between BLOCK v/s IOCTL. This is very minor and I agreed that it is
    > > > reasonable to map the IOCTL buffer in to BH or BIO so this is a net zero
    > > > of negative point.
    > >
    > > No this is two issues -- you (ab)using request interface for ioctls is
    > > one thing, I don't care too much about that (although it spreads
    > > confusion and I've already seen at least one copy this code). The other
    > > is that the task handlers are now forced to be separate and the legacy
    > > handlers in ide-disk used.
    >
    > Well, now that you see a little more.
    >
    > The reason for segmenting the data handlers to separate and isolate the
    > errors and flaws in the Linus failed attempt to push forward multimode io.
    > Also it is not isolated to writes, it is a read issue too.
    > Since this is now moving to the technical asspect I wanted you to go,
    > please go on to the third point below.
    >
    > > > How about attempting to describe the differences between the atomic and
    > > > what is violated by who and where. I will help you later if you get
    > > > stuck.
    > >
    > > and bingo, here comes a third issue. Please stay on track.
    >
    > Please go on on the third point because coming full circle to see an error.

    Well I promised to help you if you got stuck, so here is a hint.
    Describe the variations between the hardware atomic segment wrt to the
    bh/bio OS atomic segment. Then explain the event ordering of the state
    diagram. Be specific when bh/bio's should be updated and reported to
    block as complete. Finally then explain where things are wrong and why it
    is wrong and a solution to fix it. You should note the policy which is
    wrong belongs to Linus and not you, but you are charge to make it happen.

    Cheers,

    Andre Hedrick

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.027 / U:120.984 seconds]