    SubjectRe: [patch] My AMD IDE driver, v2.7
    Date
    From: "Jeff Garzik" <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>

    > Your proposal sounds 100% ok to me...
    >
    > For the details of the userspace interface (for both ATA and SCSI), my
    > idea was to use standard read(2) and write(2).
    >
    > Any number of programs can open /dev/ata/hda/control or
    > /dev/scsi/sdc/control. write(2) submits requests, read(2) consumes
    > command responses, perhaps buffering a bit so that multiple responses
    > are not lost if userspace is slow.
    >
    > Maybe it's a cheesy way to avoid ioctl(2), maybe not...

    Jeff, from a security aspect would it perhaps be better to have the
    filter always in place and load rule sets through a rigidly controlled
    interface? This gives a control hook for non-Unixoid security model
    control over the interface filtering. The filter module would have the
    lower level interfaces all opened exclusively so there would be no
    paths around the filter. I propose that the rule sets, for each
    device's instance of the filter interface, could be changed to include
    anything from a null set to forbidding anything past fully controlled
    read and write with no raw IO. One specific entity could be allowed
    to make the changes and no others. This gives a single interface for
    verifying signatures on filter data sets, as well.

    {^_^}

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.031 / U:31.812 seconds]