    SubjectRe: [patch] ns83820 0.17
    On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 06:15, David S. Miller wrote:

    > Use a cross-over cable to play with Jumbo frames, that is
    > what I do :-)
    >
    > Later this week I'll rerun tests on all the cards I have
    > (Acenic, Sk98, tigon3, Natsemi etc.) with current drivers
    > to see what it looks like with both jumbo and non-jumbo
    > mtus over gigabit.

    I no longer have the original, so I will just have to respond to this
    one, since it is related. I know I know nearly nothing about
    networking, but here has been my thinking.

    David, you believe we don't need NAPI. You believe we perform fine
    without it. Here is my question. A PCI bus, IRC, has about 500
    Megabytes/sec of bandwidth. A full blown gigabit Ethernet stream should
    be around 133 Megabytes/sec. Sounds to me like a PC could act easily
    (As far as bandwidth is concerned) as a 4 to 5 port gigabit Ethernet
    router.

    How well does this work with NAPI and how well does it work without? Is
    NAPI a gain here?

    Maybe there are other issues involved that I am unaware of, if there
    are, I would still like to see how the theoretical answers pan out.

    Thank you,
    Trever Adams

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.024 / U:0.128 seconds]