    SubjectRe: linux-2.5.4-pre1 - bitkeeper testing
    Alan Cox <> writes:

    >> It was fabulous at that time. The first time you create a file, it
    >> gets ";1" appended to it's filename. When you edit it, it gets saved
    >> under the same name, this time appended by ";2". Edit it again...
    >> whell, you get the picture. Cleaning up was as simple as "$ PURGE
    >> /KEEP=3" to keep the last three versions.

    > Its trickier than that - because all your other semantics have to align,
    > its akin to the undelete problem (in fact its identical). Do you version on
    > a rewrite, on a truncate, only on an O_CREAT ?

    The Sintran OS for the Norsk Data minicomputers had something similar. A
    new version was created every time a file was opened for writing.

    It had its disadvantages. A typical machine where I worked at the time
    had one 60MB disk. However, you could set the number of copies on a
    per-file-basis, so big databases wouldn't have to be duplicated.
    Hilsen Harald.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.061 / U:17.612 seconds]