    SubjectRe: [patch] My AMD IDE driver, v2.7
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >
    >>You have convinced me that unconditional filtering is bad. But I still
    >>think people should be provided the option to filter if they so desire.
    >>

    >Hey, choice is always good, except if it adds complexity.
    >
    >The problem with conditional filtering is that either it is a boot (or
    >compile time) option, or it is a dynamic filter.

    heh, I couldn't have given a better argument against a dynamic filter.

    I was actually assuming the filter would be a compile-time option, for
    security's sake. Boot-time option works too.

    So, it sounds like you could be sold on an fixed-at-compile-time filter
    that can be disabled at boot :) I know you don't like
    fixed-at-compile-time as you mentioned, but it's my argument there is a
    class of users that definitely do. MandrakeSoft would likely enable the
    filter in the "secure" kernel and disable it in the "normal" kernel, for
    example.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:2.489 / U:0.008 seconds]