    SubjectRe: Kernel SCM: When does CVS fall down where it REALLY matters?
    On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Larry McVoy wrote:
    > On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 08:59:47PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > > 3) graphical 2-way merging tool like bitkeeper has
    > > (this might not seem essential to people who have
    > > never used it, but it has saved me many many hours)
    >
    > I haven't verified this, but I suspect what Rik is using is the 3-way
    > file merge. If it looks like
    >
    > http://www.bitkeeper.com/newmerge.gif

    Actually, I've tried both the 3-way and the 2-way merge tools ...

    > If Rik is using the 2 way file merge and likes that, he's in for a
    > quantum leap in productivity, commercial customers have reported as much
    > as an 18:1 productivity increase from the 3 way file merge.

    ... and I prefer the one which is chosen with 'f2', nothing beats
    the [left] [right] buttons!

    I guess maybe 10% of the time I need to edit something by hand,
    but by far the most of the time I can just choose the code variant
    on the left or on the right.

    One mouse click is so much easier and faster than editing 5 lines
    of code.

    regards,

    Rik
    --