SubjectRe: BUG REPORT: kernel nfs between 2.4.19-pre2 (server) and 2.2.21-pre3 (client)
On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:59:04 +0100
Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no> wrote:

> > Trod, do you think that'll work or should some other non-ext2
> > fs be tried?
>
> Ext2 should work fine: I've never seen any problems such as that which
> Stephan describes, and certainly not with 2.4.18 clients.
>
> In any case, any occurence of an ESTALE error *must* first have
> originated from the server. The client itself cannot determine that a
> filehandle is stale.

Next try:
I have now in addition to the /backup and /mnt reiserfs exports created another
ext2 export. First test case:
mount /backup, mount the ext2 fs on /test, then mount /mnt, do i/o on /mnt and
umount /mnt.
After that everything works! /test works _and_ /backup works!

Second test case: (server and client have several network cards, so I can mount
on other ips as well)
mount /backup, mount /mnt on ip1, mount /test on ip2 (from same server). do i/o
on /mnt and umount /mnt.
After that /test works, but/backup is stale.

Conclusion: reiserfs has a problem being nfs-mounted as the only fs to a
client. If you add another fs (here ext2) mount, then even reiserfs is happy.
The problem is originated at the server side.

Any ideas for a fix?

Regards,
Stephan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.308 / U:0.408 seconds]