    SubjectRe: BUG REPORT: kernel nfs between 2.4.19-pre2 (server) and 2.2.21-pre3 (client)
    On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:59:04 +0100
    Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no> wrote:

    > > Trod, do you think that'll work or should some other non-ext2
    > > fs be tried?
    >
    > Ext2 should work fine: I've never seen any problems such as that which
    > Stephan describes, and certainly not with 2.4.18 clients.
    >
    > In any case, any occurence of an ESTALE error *must* first have
    > originated from the server. The client itself cannot determine that a
    > filehandle is stale.

    Next try:
    I have now in addition to the /backup and /mnt reiserfs exports created another
    ext2 export. First test case:
    mount /backup, mount the ext2 fs on /test, then mount /mnt, do i/o on /mnt and
    umount /mnt.
    After that everything works! /test works _and_ /backup works!

    Second test case: (server and client have several network cards, so I can mount
    on other ips as well)
    mount /backup, mount /mnt on ip1, mount /test on ip2 (from same server). do i/o
    on /mnt and umount /mnt.
    After that /test works, but/backup is stale.

    Conclusion: reiserfs has a problem being nfs-mounted as the only fs to a
    client. If you add another fs (here ext2) mount, then even reiserfs is happy.
    The problem is originated at the server side.

    Any ideas for a fix?

    Regards,
    Stephan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.025 / U:92.780 seconds]