    SubjectRe: Kernel SCM: When does CVS fall down where it REALLY matters?
    On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 08:59:47PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > 3) graphical 2-way merging tool like bitkeeper has
    > (this might not seem essential to people who have
    > never used it, but it has saved me many many hours)

    I haven't verified this, but I suspect what Rik is using is the 3-way
    file merge. If it looks like

    http://www.bitkeeper.com/newmerge.gif

    that's a 3 way file merge, the 2 big side by side windows are showing
    you 3 diffs, the diff from the ancestor to the local version in the left
    window, the diff from the ancestor to the remote version in the right
    window, and then side by side diffs in that they are lined up.

    If Rik is using the 2 way file merge and likes that, he's in for a quantum
    leap in productivity, commercial customers have reported as much as an
    18:1 productivity increase from the 3 way file merge.

    And by the way, if you ever get around to understanding how this tool works,
    you'll then understand why I keep saying that BitKeeper != diff&patch. It
    is impossible to do what this tool does with a diff&patch based system, it
    simply can't be done.
    --
    ---