    SubjectRe: linux-2.5.4-pre1 - bitkeeper testing

    > Before you yell at me, remember that source management is not the same
    > as the kernel. Everyone has to use the kernel, the computer doesn't work
    > without it. Take that set of people and remove everyone who doesn't use
    > source management. Out of a potential space of billions of people, you
    > are left with a market of about .5 - 2 million, world wide. And there
    > are 300 SCM systems fighting over that space. The top 3 have 50% of
    > the

    I know less than 10 such systems, not 300. And now arch is one of

    > space. So 297 systems fighting over maybe a million users. That's 3300
    > users per system. OK, so if each of those people were willing to pay
    > $500 for arch support/whatever, that's a total of 1.6 million dollars.
    > Which isn't remotely close enough to get the job done. And don't forget
    > that those people have to volunteer that money, it can't be pried out
    > of them.
    > It's just math. Projects that aren't universally used have a much harder
    > time getting funding than projects that everyone uses. It doesn't matter
    > what the value is to you, it matters what the costs are to the developers.
    > This is why microsoft is so rich, they build apps that the masses use.
    > It's also why clearcase+clearquest is $8000/seat. It's not because
    > that's what the value is, it's because that's what the cost has to be
    > or Rational starts to die.
    > So before you start talking about support contracts, and grants, and
    > whatever, realize that the pool of people interested in paying those
    > dollars is very small. Are _you_ going to send Tom $500?

    What was the point of this mail?

    Are you concerned that arch is free software and bk is not?

    arch _has_ chance; Tom is probably not going to make million dollars,
    but if someone has a choice between using non-free software and arch,
    maybe he will just spend his time improving arch.

    (about SSSCA) "I don't say this lightly. However, I really think that the U.S.
    no longer is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy." --hpa

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.025 / U:12.616 seconds]