    SubjectRe: linux-2.5.4-pre1 - bitkeeper testing

    On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Roman Zippel wrote:

    > Sorry, I meant the part about accepting patches directly from email.
    > Pine supports piping a mail to a script, this script could try to apply
    > the patch and extract the text in front of the patch, but it could of
    > course also recognize a bk patch and feed it to bk.

    That's not the problem I have.

    The problem I have with piping patches directly to bk is that I don't like
    to switch back-and-forth between reading email and applying (and fixing
    up) patches. Even if the patch applies cleanly (which most of them tend to
    do) I still usually need to do at least some minimal editing of the commit
    message etc (removing stuff like "Hi Linus" etc).

    So my scripts are all done to automate this, and to allow me to just save
    the patches off for later, and then apply them in chunks when I'm ready to
    switch over from email to tree update. So that's why I script the thing,
    and want to apply patches from emails rather than by piping them.

    Some of these issues don't exist with true BK patches, and I'm trying to
    set up a separate chain to apply those directly (and not from the email at
    all - the email would contain only a description and a BK repository
    source). That will be very convenient for multiple patches, but at the
    same time that will require more trust in the source, so I'll probably
    keep the "patches as diffs in emails" for the occasional work, and the
    direct BK link for the people I work closest with.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.021 / U:210.164 seconds]