    Subjectwant opinions on possible glitch in 2.4 network error reporting

    I've been looking around in the 2.4 networking stack, and I noticed that when
    the tulip (and no doubt many other) driver cannot put any more outgoing packets
    on the queue, it calls netif_stop_queue(). Then, in dev_queue_xmit() we check
    this flag by calling netif_queue_stopped(). My concern is that if this flag is
    true, we return -ENETDOWN. Is this really the proper return code for this? If
    anything, the network is too active. It seems to me that it would make more
    sense to have some kind of congestion return code rather than claiming that the
    network is down.

    I think it would make sense to return -ENOBUFS in this case, as its already
    listed in the sendto() man page, and the description matches the error because
    the command could succeed if retried.

    I ran into a somewhat related issue on a 2.2.16 system, where I had an app that
    was calling sendto() on 217000 packets/sec, even though the wire could only
    handle about 127000 packets/sec. I got no errors at all in sendto, even though
    over a third of the packets were not actually being sent.

    Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
    Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557
    3500 Carling Avenue | fax: (613) 765-2986
    Nepean, ON K2H 8E9 Canada | email:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.021 / U:1.736 seconds]