SubjectRe: driverfs support for motherboard devices

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Russell King wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 10:43:14AM -0800, Patrick Mochel wrote:
> > > I think that ide should get its own bus, as a child of the ide controller.
> > > I haven't looked at ide yet at all. But, on most modern systems, the ide
> > > controller is a function of the southbridge, so ide devices should go
> > > under that. Like what the usb stuff does now...
> >
> > What about, say, a Promise PCI IDE card? You really need to reference
> > the parent PCI device when the is one.
>
> LOL, how about ones that are quad-channel with a DEC-Bridge to slip the
> local BUSS?

LOL? I don't understand...

I don't see how any of those cases are necessarily hard to visualize.

Case 1: Typical PC with IDE as function of southbridge.

pci0

-- 07.2 (IDE controller)

--- disk0

--- disk1

Case 2: Promise IDE Controller with 2 channels

pci0

--- 03.0 (Promise IDE Controller)

--- channel0

---- disk0

---- disk1

Case 3: Quad channel DEC Bridge

Ok, maybe I don't understand completely what you're talking about, Andre.
That's just a 4 channel IDE controller, that happens to be on the board?
So, it's looks the same as the last example.

Unless, I'm missing something, which is always likely.

-pat

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.111 / U:0.420 seconds]