SubjectRe: How to check the kernel compile options ?
Date
Followup to:  <4.3.2.7.2.20020204124812.00aec590@mail.osagesoftware.com>
By author: David Relson <relson@osagesoftware.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> I remember discussion of that patch some time ago and the main complaint
> about it was that it increases the size of the kernel, i.e. vmlinuz. Why
> not put the need info in a module? Doing that would enable the following
> command:
>
> zgrep CONFIG_PROC /lib/modules/`uname -r`/config.gz
>
> (or something similar).

Uhm, no. The problem with it is that you're using kernel memory
because you're not willing to manage userspace competently, so modules
(in fact, *using modules at all*) would be right out.

I have had in my /sbin/installkernel a clause to save .config as
config-<foo> when I install vmlinuz-<foo>; I believe anyone not doing
that[1] is, quite frankly, a moron.

-hpa

[1] or rather, not doing it without knowing exactly why they aren't --
sometimes there are good reasons for doing so.
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <amsp@zytor.com>