SubjectRe: O_DIRECT fails in some kernel and FS
On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 07:40:57AM -0600, Stephen Lord wrote:

What we had were two flags, one which indicated use direct I/O,
and another which indicated return an error to user space rather
than go through buffers. So lie to me and make it work, or don't
lie to me options I suppose.

This seems way to complex in the case of reiserfs... you're only going
to see tails for small files (typically under 16k) and for the tail
part when less than a block.

Since O_DIRECT much be blocked sized and block aligned, I'm not sure
if this is a problem at present...

I suspect the reason XFS never did small files in the inode was
because of the problems with implementing mmap and O_DIRECT.

How does IRIX deal with O_DIRECT read/writes of a mapped area?
Invalidate them or just accept things as being incoherent?

--cw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.113 / U:1.100 seconds]