SubjectRe: Kernl module ethics.
As I remember it (I haven't watched changes in the legislation),
the UCTIA also had language to the effect that license terms that
require the release of derivative software are not valid.

In other words, this UCTIA language actually tries to rip the THROAT
out of the GPL... reducing it to, at best, a BSD-like license.

(IANAL)

The theory of the GPL is that it's not actually a license. It
gives permission for people to do things with the code that would,
otherwise, be a breach of copyright unless such actions included
making the source code available to anybody that got a binary
copy of the package.

Under that premise, a GPL violation would simply be a copyright
violation case... "

IF You don't make the source code available and copyable
THEN
You don't have the right to distribute copies of our code
FI

If this is accurate, it's possible that the GPL may actually
dodge the bullet on the UCTIA language.... but - once again - IANAL.

--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426 samuel@bcgreen.com
http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/