    SubjectRe: 2.4.19-preX: What we really need: -AA patches finally in the tree
    On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Bill Davidsen wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Rik van Riel wrote:

    > > or (c) have proponents of the inclusion of the O(1) scheduler
    > > fix all drivers before having the O(1) scheduler considered
    > > for inclusion.
    > >
    > > Adding a yield() function to 2.4's scheduler and fixing all
    > > the drivers to use it isn't that hard. Now all that's needed
    > > are some O(1) fans willing to do the grunt work.
    >
    > That sounds very nice, but in practice it means it would never happen,
    > and you know it.

    If you send the patch, it'll happen. If you don't have the
    motivation to send the patch and nobody else has either, then
    it won't happen.

    > First you have to patch the existing scheduler.

    Not at all. The yield() function would just be a define to
    the code which no longer works with the new scheduler, ie:

    #define yield() \
    current->policy |= SCHED_YIELD; \
    schedule();

    > Aside from the work on something which we are about to discard, the
    > patch would have to go through the maintainer, and the the submitter,

    > If we could get a dispensation from Linus to submit one patch combining
    > the scheduler and all the drivers, it could be done (almost mechanically).

    You can send marcelo such a patch (without the scheduler) right
    now.

    You're making absolutely no sense when you're saying that a patch
    without the O(1) scheduler would have to go through the maintainers
    while a patch with the O(1) scheduler included could go into the
    kernel directly.

    regards,

    Rik
    --
    "Linux holds advantages over the single-vendor commercial OS"
    -- Microsoft's "Competing with Linux" document