    SubjectRe: 2.4.19pre1aa1
    On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 10:26:48PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > experience), so blessing one and making the other "only a patch" troubles
    > me somewhat. I hate to say "compete" as VM solution, but they both solve
    > the same problem with more success in one field or another.
    >
    > If either is adopted the pressure will be off to improve in the areas
    > where one or the other is weak, Once the decision is made that won't
    > happen,

    I sincerely doubt that Rik will slow down at all when parts of -aa are in
    the mainline kernel. There is 2.5 to work award, and 2.4 isn't a lost
    cause...

    Also, one has already been blessed, way back in 2.4.10-pre11 by Linus. I
    don't see any chance of rmap getting into 2.4 before 2.4.27+ Marcelo has
    said he wants to see rmap in production on in -ac for a while before he
    thinks about merging rmap, and that's good IMHO.

    >And if rmap is a large VM change, what then is Ardrea's code?
    > Large isn't just the size of the patch, it is to some extent the size of
    > the behavior change.

    True, and by that token, rmap would be the larger change in behavior (not
    swapping on disk accesses, etc ;).

    > For me it makes little difference, I like to play with kernels, and I'm
    > hoping for the source which needs only numbers in /proc/sys to tune,
    > rather than patches. But there are a lot more small machines (which I feel
    > are better served by rmap) than large. I would like to leave the jury out
    > a little longer on this.

    Look at it another way, by forcing Andrea to send it
    in as small chunks with descriptions, we may finally get a documented -aa
    VM. ;) So, lets watch and see that happen.

    I don't see anyone benefiting with *both* of the VM enhancements as external
    patches.

    > I was looking for opinions, thak you for sharing yours.!

    You will certainly find that here. ;)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:21    [W:0.027 / U:0.304 seconds]