    SubjectRe: Flash Back -- kernel 2.1.111

    Obviously this will be a sticking point on the baseclock assumed for each
    host; however, the excitement of the commentary tends to validate the
    concerns express, but poor word choice.

    Given the baseclock is used to setup PIO, and that is the method to issue
    and execute the command block, and all other transfers which are not DMA,
    it stands to reason, if this becomes messed up so will the transfers.

    So my comments in concerns are valid given each host is different and
    those capable of determining there internal baseclock which may vary from
    the actual PCI slot baseclock, FSB, etc ... will be okay. The rest of
    those which depend on user input of a default safe value which has been
    defined in the past and verified by history must remain.

    In the past we carried a global since driverfs was not present.

    As a point of reference for removal of the pci read/write space to the
    host, I strongly suggest that be left alone. As for the removal of the
    settings file, may of the distributions use this as a means to issue
    script calls to enable and disable features w/o the use of an additional
    application like "hdparm".

    Andre Hedrick
    Linux Disk Certification Project Linux ATA Development

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.020 / U:10.980 seconds]