SubjectRe: Connecting through parallel port
Date
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:16:32 -0500 (EST), Bill Davidsen
<davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, John Alvord wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:39:36 -0500 (EST), Bill Davidsen
>> <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
>
>> >There was a protocol called PLIP which did just what you want. I've used
>> >it many times for laptop install (Patrick even fixed it in Slackware at my
>> >request).
>> >
>> >Unfortunately, while the feature is still in recent 2.[45] kernels, it
>> >appears to be broken. The last laptop I installed needed a network card to
>> >get working.
>
>> This was interesting when NIC (network interface cards) cost $100.
>> Nowadays, they are a lot less costly and interest in the PLIP solution
>> has evaporated.
>
>Unless cards now come with their own slot, this is still very useful. A
>system without parallel is very unusual, while one without network is far
>more common, and one without a place to even add a network is not that
>hard to find. While a home user with only a few systems which he can
>configure at will has no trouble adding a NIC, business use in many places
>doesn't work that way, and honestly I have a hard time telling someone to
>buy NICs, cables, a hub, etc, when a $7 cable will work between systems
>with a functional PL/IP kernel.
>
>Considering the low use things supported in the kernel, I see no reason to
>think PL/IP is less so. Not a lot of TokenRing out there these days, even
>in an IBM shop;-)

I guess the only remaining problem is finding someone to support the
code as Linux winds its way onward through the years. Or someone
paying to do that work.

john

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.104 / U:0.832 seconds]