    SubjectRe: Connecting through parallel port
    Date
    On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:39:36 -0500 (EST), Bill Davidsen
    <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

    >On 20 Feb 2002, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
    >
    >> I have a LAN at home and know I just got another computer to
    >> connect to the LAN, I also found a parallel-parallel cable. The
    >> network is ethernet, is it possible to connect the new computer
    >> using the parallel ports of the computers to the server of the
    >> LAN so that this new computer is able to have access to the
    >> internet and the rest of stuff?
    >> What do I need to configure in the kernel?
    >> Is there any how-to out there that answers this question?
    >
    >There was a protocol called PLIP which did just what you want. I've used
    >it many times for laptop install (Patrick even fixed it in Slackware at my
    >request).
    >
    >Unfortunately, while the feature is still in recent 2.[45] kernels, it
    >appears to be broken. The last laptop I installed needed a network card to
    >get working.
    >
    >Note that using good cable and short runs you can push PPP over the serial
    >ports at 230400bps, and possibly even use the bonding driver (or EQL) to
    >hang several in parallel. I would think that was fast enough for casual
    >use, although PL/IP was faster. I think the parport stuff is the cause,
    >and it may be that only the config info need be changed, I just haven't
    >chased it.
    >
    >Anyone having a fix or info that there's a workaround, fel free to expand
    >on this!

    This was interesting when NIC (network interface cards) cost $100.
    Nowadays, they are a lot less costly and interest in the PLIP solution
    has evaporated.

    john

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.023 / U:60.720 seconds]