    SubjectRe: SIOCDEVICE ?
    Jeff Garzik <> :
    > On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 03:44:24PM +0100, Francois Romieu wrote:
    > > Your patch doesn't apply against 2.5.3. I did a quick update and noticed the
    > > patch is the sole user of SIOCDEVICE (with dscc4) and SIOCDEVPRIVATE.
    > SIOCDEVPRIVATE is verboten in 2.5.x, it doesn't pass through ioctl
    > translation layers like that which exists on sparc64 and ia64; they are
    > untyped awful interfaces.
    > The correction would perhaps define a real command as needed...

    Yes, I've seen the big fat comment in include/linux/sockios.h for
    SIOCDEVPRIVATE. I can only infer that SIOCDEVICE isn't allowed any more
    as it seems it sneakly escaped from the kernel sources.

    <executive summary of Krzysztof Halasa's update>
    The struct hdlc_device_struct offers under an union the protocol specific
    (raw hdlc, frame relay, cisco, pppsync (1)) parameters of the interface.
    Those are set from userspace through and an
    ifreq.ifr_settings.type of IF_PROTO_{HDLC/CISCO/FR/X25},... resp. which
    specifies the size of the expected data (2).
    You retrieve it from userspace with IF_GET_PROTO.
    Once an interface is configured for frame-relay, pvc creation/deletion is
    done with IF_PROTO_FR_{ADD/DEL}_PVC.

    (1) Let's forget pppsync and it's revolting games with net_device.priv for now.
    (2) ifr->ifr_settings.data_length checking duplication should be avoided imho.

    As this question was postponed until 2.5, I'd like someone to state what the
    accepted api will be.

    Let's hope it's not too much on-topic. :o)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.025 / U:43.148 seconds]