SubjectRe: readl/writel and memory barriers
Jesse Barnes wrote:
> To avoid the overhead of having I/O flushed on every
> memory barrier and readX/writeX operation, we've introduced
> mmiob() on ia64, which explicity orders I/O space accesses.
> Some ports have chosen to take the performance hit in every
> readX/writeX, memory barrier, and spinlock however
> (e.g. PPC64, MIPS).

I have a hunch that many drivers will break if you change the semantics of
readX/writeX from in-order to out-of-order - lots of drivers are only
developed & tested on x86, which completely hides the issue...

If you consider the performance cost of in-order readX/writeX to be
significant, then I would suggest adding another group of readX/writeX APIs
that explicitly allow out-of-order PCI access. (__raw_readX/__raw_writeX
seem to offer this already on some platforms...)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.079 / U:0.948 seconds]