    SubjectRe: How to make Linux/Tux/Whatever better? (was Re: TUX development? Anyone?)

    Daniel Egger wrote:

    > Am Fre, 2002-02-15 um 19.59 schrieb Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk:
    >

    >>Is it only me?
    >>Can I please get *some* sort of feedback after submitting a bug report?
    >>I thought that was what made open-source projects better...
    >>

    > You don't get the point, do you?
    >
    > You get what pay for and in this case it's zilch, zero, nada, nothing...
    > ... No, wait, you have the source, that's more than nothing. Use it,
    > Luke!
    >
    > When there's no developper interesting in fixing the bug you've found in
    > her/his sparetime you should consider buying some help or fix it
    > yourself instead of complaining.

    I think the developers have a moral responsibility to make an attempt to
    at least answer questions and bug reports. Even if the answer is just:
    I'm too busy now...please check back later.

    If you don't have time to respond for a protracted time, then it's time
    to give up stewardship of the project to someone who has more resources
    available....

    I am just as guilty of being slow to answer as most other folks, so this
    is not to cast blame. I do think your crass assumption that developers
    owe nothing to the users of their code is quite wrong though.

    Ben

    --
    Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
    President of Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com