SubjectRe: jiffies rollover, uptime etc.
Many will be grateful if this finally allows
the correct uptime to be generated after
497 days - my busy mail/dns servers now
have 611 days uptime, but to outsiders it
appears they only have 114 days uptime,
and there are bizarre items in the process
table, e.g. programs that were apparently
started in the year 2003...

Joe

Tim Schmielau wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Oliver Hillmann wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>yes, I know this is defenitely no new issue (maybe its none to you
>>anyway), since I found posts about this dating from 1998: the
>>jiffies counter rolls over after approx. 497 days uptime, which
>>causes the uptime to roll over as well, and seems to cause some
>>other irretation in the system itself (my pc speaker starting
>>beeping constantely...)
>>

>See
>http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/linux-kernel/archive/2001-Week-47/0736.html
>for a patch.
>I intend to submit this for 2.4.19pre after some more testing and
>feedback.
>
>Also note that several patches for jiffies rollover bugs have gone into
>2.4.18pre, maybe one of them fixes the speaker driver.
>
>Tim
>
>-

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.132 / U:0.664 seconds]