SubjectRe: Disgusted with kbuild developers
Date
On Saturday 16 February 2002 01:35 am, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Rob Landley <landley@trommello.org>:
> > On Friday 15 February 2002 05:04 pm, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > > Solutions that involve me doing an arbitrary and increasing amount of
> > > hand-hacking on every release are right out.
> >
> > Um, Eric? Isn't that what being a maintainer basically means?
>
> The problem isn't that I'm not willing to work hard. I am. It's that
> the level of handhacking has to be controlled below the threshold that
> makes it impossible.

That's still not the point. You had great tools to do a job Linus -wasn't
interested in having done-. Unsuprisingly, Linus broke them. Linus wasn't
trying to make more work for you as 2.5 help file maintainer, he simply
didn't care about side projects outside of 2.5.

It's still a question of defining the work you're expected to do. Keeping
2.4 and 2.5 in sync was a job you invented. Initially it was easy, later it
stopped being easy, and eventually it became a very hard problem indeed to
the point where you had to stop doing it. But the dependency between the 2.4
and 2.5 help files was always completely artificial. That you thought
maintaining it was expected of you all along was an honest miscommunication,
but that's water under the bridge now.

> > Back up a bit. What would be the most minimal, stripped-down version of
> > CML2 you could write? No eye candy, no complications, no
> > autoconfigurator, no tree view, no frozen symbols. Just solving the core
> > problem of configuring 2.5 in a more flexible and less buggy way than
> > CML1, with the three interfaces (oldconfig, menuconfig, xconfig) we've
> > got now.
>
> The big problem isn't the code transition. It's the rulebase transition.

Then why confuse the two?

Eric, "make menuconfig" is now green text on a black background. The old one
was black and yellow text on grey boxes with a blue border. They look
NOTHING alike. The tab-through buttons at the bottom have gone away, the
list now takes up the whole screen horizontally and vertically instead of
being confined to a curses box, and the rest of the keys you use to do stuff
are different. (q does nothing in the old menuconfig, x gives you the option
to abort, and cursor left and right changes which button is highlighted.
Looking back, yes "?" pulls up help in CML1 but I didn't need to know that.
I never used it, I always tabbed over to "help" and hit enter. And I never
used "x" to exit, I tabbed over to the "exit" button and used it until I got
out of the top level menu. It's all I ever needed to know to make it work...)

I personally don't care about the other configurators since the only one I
ever use is menuconfig. And after using CML2 for a while, I'll even grant
that the old CML1 interface was clunky and the new one is probably an
improvement. But that's not the POINT.

It IS a different interface. For no apparent reason except that you don't
want to implement the old one. Pull them up side by side in two different
windows and try to do the same config in paralell. The difference is pretty
darn obvious.

Remember when I asked for a blank line at the top of menuconfig and you went
"no, that's a waste of screen space" and refused to even consider it? We
went back and forth for ten minutes on this issue. Look at how MUCH of the
old menuconfig is wasted in drawing boxes and drop shadows: there's only ten
lines of actual menu. (Your code doesn't have any blank lines in it either.
Mine does. Does this sound like a coding style flame war to you? Do you see
how it's an issue on which a judgement call from you might not suddenly
resolve all debate?)

Your aesthetic judgement of how the interface should look is not the point.
Can you or can you not make one that looks and acts like the old one? Yes or
no? (Yes it IS a trivial problem relative to the rest of the codebase, but
it's one that hasn't been addressed. And considering the UI is what people
actually see, and it's different, you're giving a horrible first impression
on the compatability front.)

I don't care if it's "better". New Coke was "better". It won all the blind
taste tests hands down. The fact CML2 asks the same questions and produces
exactly the same .config files as the old rulebase is a blind taste test
issue. In real life, people aren't blindfolded, and the first thing they're
seeing is a profoundly different user interface, for no readily apparent
reason except that you don't like the old one.

Change the colors. Put in the tabbable buttons. Waste over half the
screen space with boxes and drop shadows. Suppress your gag reflex. Prove
it can be done. Feel free to keep the old green menuconfig in the separate
tarball with the autoconfigurator and call it "mconfig" or something, just
try to make it so that when a developer runs "make menuconfig" they can't
TELL whether they're running cml1 or cml2 (unless a difference they bump into
is a REALLY obvious and justifiable no-brainer bugfix, like the stupid ).
And the same for oldconfig and xconfig. -THAT- is far more likely to get
merged.

Yes this IS a showstopper issue. Really. Honest. Stop giving objectors
such an amazingly obvious target...

Rob

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.135 / U:0.040 seconds]