    SubjectRe: Disgusted with kbuild developers
    On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Dave Jones wrote:

    > On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 12:23:12AM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
    > > Are you telling that kernel programmers don't rewrite code from scratch?
    > > Is that a correct interpretation of "improve the existing system"? Note
    > > that "it can't be done" can also imply "cannot reasonable be done".
    > > Eric has done it, without being of kernel hacker temple's fame.
    > The kernel hacker approach: Gradual change toward a predefined goal.
    > The Eric approach: Rip out existing, replace with new.
    > If Al Viro can rewrite the guts of the VFS without hardly anyone
    > noticing any disturbance, and the configuration system can't be
    > done this way, something is amiss.

    Not necessarily. If the gradual change infers intermediate functions
    that are not needed for a hard cut-over, it's no good to do all the
    extra work if the already-existing result is known to work. I'd
    certainly not drop CML1 from 2.4, but 2.5 is the time for changes.

    You don't take an airplane to drive alongs autobahns for a gradual
    change either.

    It seems to me as though the "rip out existing" issue was rather a
    "don't let us maintain two parts of the same type at the same time"
    convenience feature than a trait of CML2, and if so, keep both for some
    releases and drop CML1 in, say, 2.5.8.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.024 / U:4.676 seconds]