    SubjectRe: Disgusted with kbuild developers
    Dave Jones <>:
    > This is something I never understood. CML1 has served us for
    > 10 years or so, and suddenly its declared "unfixable".

    Yes, and not by me. By the people who wrote it.

    > "I'm not hacking that, I'll fix it in CML2" seemed to become
    > the attitude. End result ? Linus got pissed off with your
    > complaints of non-inclusion, and _fixed_ one of the CML1 problems
    > ( And how long did it take ? ISTR it was around
    > an hour after his first mail was sent to you, me & Jeff.
    > 1 hour. Versus the year you spent procrastinating about how
    > CML2 would fix it.
    > Sure CML2 fixes some bits that are not easily fixed in CML1,
    > but I wonder sometimes how much of it is/was fixable.

    The first thing I heard, from mec two years ago, was "the CML1 code
    base is not salvageable". This was then and is now the unanimous opinion of
    the kbuild team. Not just mine; in fact, they concluded it before
    I entered the picture.

    I have seen nothing since to make me change that opinion.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.024 / U:11.320 seconds]