    SubjectRe: fsync delays for a long time.
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > > fsync on a very large file is very slow on the 2.2 kernels
    > >
    > > This could very well be due to request allocation starvation.
    > > fsync is sleeping in __get_request_wait() while bonnie keeps
    > > on stealing all the requests.
    >
    > That may amplify it but in the 2.2 case fsync on any sensible sized file
    > is already horribly performing. It hits databases like solid quite badly

    I'm surprised. ext2's fsync in 2.2 is in fact quite optimal: a single
    pass across the block tree, in probable-LBA-order. No livelock potential
    there. Optimal. Note that it implements "only sync the stuff which was
    dirty on entry" semantics.

    But msync() is a different kettle of fish. It calls file_fsync(), which
    syncs the entire device, livelockably. Are you sure `solid' is not
    using msync?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.041 / U:29.480 seconds]