    SubjectRe: What does AddrMarkNotFound mean?
    Date
    On Thursday 14 February 2002 00:11, Daniel Pittman wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
    > >> Is this typical behavior for a hard drive which has developed bad
    > >> blocks? And if I blacklist the affected blocks in the filesystem,
    > >> should I also blacklist a few previous blocks in order to avoid
    > >> problems with the readahead feature of the IDE drivers?
    > >
    > > Its a disk error (it can't find the index marks for a sector). In
    > > general its a bad sign and you might want to check the smart data for
    > > the disk.
    > >
    > > If you bought an IBM disk within the last 18 months or so check for
    > > new firmware, flash it if so and reformat it before panicing and
    > > assuming the worst.
    >
    > Having done precisely that, and ended up owning an IBM hard drive that
    > has hit exactly this problem, like so many before this, this firmware
    > upgrade idea is rather appealing. It would be nice to be able to trust
    > the drive...
    >
    > ...but I can't seem to find the firmware anywhere on the IBM storage
    > site or, in fact, anywhere. Have you any hints as to where I might
    > look?

    It isn't on the site.

    > It's a DTLA-307030, made in Hungary, if that makes it easier to help. :)

    The firmware can be found here:

    http://www.scan.co.uk/ibmhddtest.htm

    I must say that personally I've had this IBM DTLA drive for over 1.5 years
    now, and I haven't seen any problems with it whatsoever.
    A friend of mine had the same problems (bad sectors), he reformatted the
    drive with the IBM drive tool and got rid of all bad sectors.

    > Thanks,
    > Daniel

    Good luck revamping your drive!

    DK

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.026 / U:30.664 seconds]