SubjectRe: another IDE cleanup: kill duplicated code
On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 02:46:12AM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> > > Does Virtual DMA mean anything?
> >
> > Sure. Virtual-Direct-Marketing-Association, then there is the VDS,
> > Vitrual-DMA-Services, which is a DOS DMA access specification, then
> > there is the VDMA on PCI - this is a term used for normal PCI BM DMA
> > passing through an IOMMU-capable bridge. Then there is Virtual-DMA on
> > floppy controllers and NE*000's - which allows feeding the data to the
> > card via PIO when there is no ISA DMA controller available in the
> > system.
> >
> > None of this is relevant to IDE on Linux.
>
> Well not yet but here is a hint, all future hardware will be MMIO.

That's nice. Actually, that's the case on many archs already.

> Meaning all IO is performed under DMA over the ATA-Bridge.

Ugh? This is not the meaning of your first sentence.

> Specifically PIO operations are transacted over VDMA to the Bridge and
> executed as PIO by the Bridge.

Care to explain in more detail? Hmm, I suppose not.

I suppose you mean that the IDE controller will use BM DMA w/ SG for
every transaction and the PIO/DMA/UDMA mode will only be different on
the IDE BUS. That's very nice, and actually will make things simpler.

I still don't see how any of the proposed patches kill the possibility
to do this.

> > Perhaps you mean PIO using SG-lists to put the data into the right
> > places. But I still don't see a problem with this and the proposed patch.
> >
> > > Does a function struct for handling IO and MMIO help?
> >
> > Ugh? What is "function struct"?
>
> Since the future will be a mess, and it is possible to have IO/MMIO on the
> same HOST it will be come more fun than you can imagine.

The future (kernel point of view) will be how we make it to be. If we
make a lot of messy code, the future will be a mess. This seems to be
what you're doing. (Sorry.)

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs