SubjectRe: How to check the kernel compile options ?
Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On February 12, 2002 05:38 pm, Bill Davidsen wrote:

>>>It's a trick question? The config option would let you specify that no
>>>kernel config information at all would be stored with or in the kernel. No
>>>cost, no memory footprint. And I would get to have the extra warm n fuzzy
>>>usability I tend to go on at such lengths about. So we're both happy, right?
>>>
>>>I'd even remain happy if the option were set *off* by default.
>>>
>>No trick other than to read what I said in either of the previous posts...
>>the question was not how to avoid having the useful feature, but how to
>>put it somewhere to avoid increasing the kernel size. I suggested in the
>>modules directory, either as a text file or as a module.
>>

> We are in violent agreement, I'm not sure where the misunderstanding came from.
> Yes, the leading idea is to put it in a module. In fact a patch exists, though
> it may have issues, it's been a while since I looked at it.
>
> Besides that, it's been suggested to stick it only the end of bzImage in a way
> that some utility can find it, so that it never gets loaded into memory or does
> and is immediately discarded.

I'd go for tacking it on at the end of the bzImage. Advantages would be
that it can be read even when the kernel isn't loaded, and also there
is no danger of loading a module in another kernel.

Padraig.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.158 / U:0.056 seconds]