    SubjectRe: [patch] sys_sync livelock fix
    Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > Alan and/or Linus:
    > Am I misreading this or is the Linux implementation of sync() based on
    > making the shutdown scripts pause until disk i/o is done? Because I don't
    > think commercial unices work that way, I think they work as SuS
    > specifies. More reason to rethink this in 2.4 as well as 2.5 and get the
    > possible live lock out of the kernel.

    I don't think SuSv2 can be any more clear than:

    > The writing, although scheduled, is not necessarily complete
    > upon return from sync().

    Quoting from

    As I mentioned in the other message, IMHO we need some way to introduce
    a global system I/O barrier, and then wait for all I/O scheduled before
    that barrier to complete. My suggestion for naming was the "checkpoint"
    system call.

    Jeff Garzik | "I went through my candy like hot oatmeal
    Building 1024 | through an internally-buttered weasel."
    MandrakeSoft | -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.025 / U:9.688 seconds]