    SubjectRe: pci_pool reap?

    On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 16:48, Russell King wrote:
    > On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 04:36:34PM +0100, Daniel Stodden wrote:
    > > ARM does GFP_KERNEL, and then __ioremaps the underlying pages.
    > > ugh. is that the only way to get the area coherent?
    > Yes. Cache bits are in the page tables, and it would be idiotic to
    > manipulate the cache bits on a 1MB granularity over the kernel
    > direct mapped space.
    > > furthermore i don't see why this could not be interrupt safe.
    > GFP_KERNEL in the page table allocation functions mainly. We've been
    > around and around this recently on this mailing list, so I'm not going
    > to say anything further. I don't want another long discussion about
    > this subject taking my time away from doing real work on ARM. If you're
    > really interested in the outcome, please examine the lkml archives.

    ok. i read part of the old thread now. sorry. didn't know that this had
    already been issued.

    so, based on the fact that
    1. _most_ archs can easily do atomically.
    2. those which don't aren't necessarily the better ones.
    3. many drivers may prefer/be able to alloc through during
    3.5 some may not.
    4. even on arm, __ioremap() takes a gfp for quite some time now
    and nobody seems to disagree.

    then why does pci_alloc_consistent() not just take gfp flags and people
    put in what their personal preference is?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.021 / U:23.732 seconds]