SubjectRe: another IDE cleanup: kill duplicated code
On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 04:23:03PM +0100, Martin Dalecki wrote:

> Anyway, you apparently still missed to kill:
>
> int *bs, max_ra; in ide-probe.c
>
> as well as: xpram_rahead and friends in s390 code
>
> The attached patch is fixing this.

Thanks.

> BTW.> Since there is no longer any difference about the request head
> handling between IDE and SCSI, what about the idea of moving the whole
> ide interface stuff under the umbrella of SCSI host adapter? This
> would be a true cleanup and make the whole ide-scsi and ide-atapi mess
> go away. IDE is moving fast toward SCSI on the logical level anyway
> and it would make the hwif macro/lookup crap in the ide code go
> magically way! At least this generic device handler search stuff
> should be merged between them (I'm trully tempted to give it a shoot
> this afternoon.) The only thing it could result in, which would maybe
> surprise some would be the fact that the major of his root device
> could just go suddenly away... But hey! What's the heck - we are in
> odd kernel series anyway ;-).

This is an idea I'm toying with for quite a long time already. And I
think this is a good idea as well. I have no more time to spend coding
today, so if you have the afternoon, but I'll definitely find some to
read the diff if you do this change!

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs