    SubjectRe: driver location for platform-specific drivers
    On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:17:44PM -0600, John Hesterberg wrote:

    > For SGI's upcoming Linux platform (nicknamed Scalable Node, or SN),
    > we have some platform specific device drivers. Where should these go?
    > I see several precedents in the current kernels.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > 2) Company (sgi) directory.
    > There is already an sgi directory, strangely enough.
    > I *think* this was meant to be a platform directory for the
    > discontinued SGI 320/540 Visual Workstations. However, maybe

    You are mistaken. The cruft in drivers/sgi mostly dates back to the
    attempts on the SGI Indy platform to get SGI's IRIX X server *binary*
    running under Linux (note that this work was NOT done by SGI).

    The SGI Visual Workstation work was mostly done within the i386 arch
    code; the framebuffer driver (sgivwfb.[ch]) was put in drivers/video;
    and some other drivers had some modifications that were guarded
    by CONFIG_VISWS or CONFIG_VISWS_HACKS. (There was also a project that
    enabled multi-process accelerated/direct-rendered graphics on that
    platform, but that code was never released due to the fact that the
    project was killed the week it was demonstrated at SIGGRAPH'99.)

    --macko

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.041 / U:183.056 seconds]