SubjectRe: driver location for platform-specific drivers
> For SGI's upcoming Linux platform (nicknamed Scalable Node, or SN),
> we have some platform specific device drivers. Where should these go?

> 1) Integrate in drivers/*.

I'd do this, unless you have dozens of them.
E.g. drivers/net/sunhme.c.

> 2) Company (sgi) directory.

That's nonsense, IMHO.

> 3) New platform directory.
> Create a platform directory for SN, probably drivers/sn.
> There is precedence for this with the drivers/macintosh
> and drivers/s390.

I think this is only done if API is different. Often these
directories cannot be processed by a build process on other
architectures, so they are kept outside to have Makefiles smaller.
See also drivers/sbus, which could be called "drivers/sun" just
as well. But really, it's separate because of sparc_alloc_io().

I appreciate a lot that drivers/acpi is so easy to exclude
from builds - it breaks on anything but Intel stuff.

> 4) New architecture directory.
> Another suggestion is to create an architecture directory,
> in this case drivers/ia64/{char,net,etc.}/.

See #3. The ia64 uses standard APIs.

> I'm happy with whatever you'll accept.

Yeah, lessee what penguins say, and also I think DaveM may
lend some good expirience here.

-- Pete

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.027 / U:1.572 seconds]