    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] LVM reimplementation ready for beta testing
    On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:42:25PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:45:33PM +0100, Heinz J . Mauelshagen wrote:
    > > LVM2 and the device-mapper are GPL/LGPL.
    > Could you clarify the meaning of "GPL/LGPL"? Are certain parts GPL and
    > other parts LGPL? If so, which parts?

    The LVM2 sofware no longer uses a particular driver which is just
    usable for its own purpose.
    It rather accesses a different, so-called 'device-mapper' driver, which
    implements a generic volume management service for the Linux kernel by
    supporting arbitray mappings of address ranges to underlying block devices.
    Because this is a generic service rather than an application within the kernel,
    it is open to be used by multiple LVM implementations (for eg. EVMS could be
    ported to use it :-)

    The device-mapper driver is under the GPL and our Beta1 release dated Wednesday,
    which included the LVM2 tools as well, supports 2.4 kernels. We are aiming to
    get it integrated into the stock kernel and are implementing the necessary
    changes (bio interface) for 2.5 now.
    We released a device-mapper library (implements a generic API for the
    device-mapper) which is under the LGPL with it.

    The LVM2 tools have a library with routines to for eg. access the
    device-mapper library, deal with LVM metadata (VGDA), support different
    metadata formats and offer configuration file support which is under the
    LGPL as well.
    The tools themselves (vgcreate, lvcreate, ...) are under the GPL.

    ----------------------------- ------------------------------
    LVM2 tools LVM2 library
    device-mapper driver device-mapper library

    > jeff

    Heinz -- The LVM Guy --

    *** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

    Heinz Mauelshagen Sistina Software Inc.
    Senior Consultant/Developer Am Sonnenhang 11
    56242 Marienrachdorf
    Germany +49 2626 141200
    FAX 924446

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.028 / U:1.024 seconds]