    SubjectRe: hidden interface (ARP) 2.4.20
    On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 00:30:23 +0100
    Roberto Nibali <ratz@drugphish.ch> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > [Maybe we should discuss this in private, it doesn't have a lot to do
    > with kernel development anymore.]

    To be honest: I think this _is_ indeed a kernel development issue. We are
    somehow talking of a performance lack that can be overcome by a simple patch
    (call it hack) and some brain.

    > > Because when you have to deal with thousands of session per second, NAT is
    > > really a pain in the ass. When you have to consider security, NAT is a pain
    >
    > Not with a HW LB, and with a SW LB (LVS-NAT) you can very well sustain
    > 20000 NAT'd load balanced connections with 5 minutes of stickyness
    > (persistency) with 1GB RAM and a PIII Tualatin with 512 kb L2 cache. I'm
    > not sure if you meant this when mentioning pain.

    I guess he probably meant a _bit_ more. I may add some zeros to your 20000 to
    give you a glimpse of a _standard_ load we are talking about. And you can
    easily do this with the hardware you mentioned _not_ using NAT (of course ;-).

    I guess it would really be a great help if someone did tests like Cons'
    "overall performance" ones for network performance explicitly. Like e.g.
    performance for various packet-sizes of all available protocol types, possibly
    including NAT connections. We have no comparable figures at hand right now, I
    guess.

    --
    Regards,
    Stephan