    SubjectRe: Maybe a VM bug in 2.4.18-18 from RH 8.0?
    Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > the
    > algorithm is autotuned at boot and depends on the zone sizes, and it
    > applies to the dma zone too with respect to the normal zone, the highmem
    > case is just one of the cases that the fix for the general problem
    > resolves,

    Linus's incremental min will protect ZONE_DMA in the same manner.

    > and you're totally wrong saying that mlocking 700m on a 4G box
    > could kill it.

    It is possible to mlock 700M of the normal zone on a 4G -aa kernel.
    I can't immediately think of anything apart from vma's which will
    make it fall over, but it will run like crap.

    > 2.5 misses this important fix too btw.

    It does not appear to be an important fix at all. There have been
    zero reports of it on any mailing list which I read since the google
    days.

    Yes, it needs to be addressed. But it is not worth taking 100 megabytes
    of pagecache away from everyone. That is just a matter of choosing
    the default value.

    2.5 has much bigger problems than this - radix_tree nodes and pte_chains
    in particular.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.030 / U:30.076 seconds]