    SubjectRe: [patch] fix the ext3 data=journal unmount bug
    Hi,

    On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 22:07, Chris Mason wrote:

    > But with data journaling, there's a limited amount data pending that
    > needs to be sent to the log. It isn't like the data pages in the
    > data=writeback, where there might be gigs and gigs worth of pages.

    That's true right now, but it may not be for other cases. For example,
    a phase-tree type of filesystem may have huge amounts of data
    accumulated behind the commit, and any filesystem doing deferred block
    allocation will also have a lot of data which needs to be synced
    intelligently, not just by the VM walking the dirty buffer lists itself.

    > It seems like a natural progression to start adding journal address
    > spaces to deal with this instead of extra stuff in the super code, where
    > locking and super flag semantics make things sticky.

    Absolutely, and I think an entirely separate ->sync_fs method is the way
    to go, as it doesn't assume any specific semantics about what data
    structure is getting locked in what fashion.

    --Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.020 / U:457.612 seconds]