    SubjectRe: [RFC] generic device DMA implementation
    David Gibson <> writes:
    > It seems the "try to get consistent memory, but otherwise give me
    > inconsistent" is only useful on machines which:
    > (1) Are not fully consisent, BUT
    > (2) Can get consistent memory without disabling the cache, BUT
    > (3) Not very much of it, so you might run out.
    > The point is, there has to be an advantage to using consistent memory
    > if it is available AND the possibility of it not being available.
    > Are there actually any machines with the properties described above?

    As I mentioned in my previous message, one of my platforms is like that
    -- PCI consistent memory must be allocated from a special pool of
    memory, which is only 2 megabytes in size.

    `Life is a boundless sea of bitterness'

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.019 / U:43.020 seconds]