    SubjectRe: Reserving physical memory at boot time
    On Wednesday 04 December 2002 17:44, Mike Galbraith wrote:
    > At 08:25 AM 12/4/2002 -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Wrong - you can specify the precise memory map of a box as well as use
    > > > mem= to set the top of used memory. Its a painful way of marking a page
    > > > and it only works for a page the kernel isnt loaded into.
    > >
    > >If you are refering to the "reserve=" kernel parameter, I don't
    > >think it works for memory addresses that are inside existing RAM.
    > >I guess if you used the "mem=" parameter to keep the kernel from
    > >using that RAM, the combination might work, but I have never
    > >tried it.
    > reserve= is for IO ports (kernel/resource.c). I think Alan was referring to
    > mem=exactmap.
    > If Duncan didn't have the pesky requirement that his module work in an
    > unmodified kernel, it would be easy to use __alloc_bootmem() to reserve an
    > address range and expose via /proc. But alas...

    I actually said I was happy to modify the kernel! As for __alloc_bootmem(),
    based on my quick reading of the implementation in 2.5.50, I don't see how
    you can be sure it will give you a particular physical page. I would like to
    either get the page I want, or fail.

    Thanks for your help,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.021 / U:2.496 seconds]