    SubjectRe: lkml,
    * Dave Jones ( wrote in reply to my reply:
    > This was something that was brought up in a discussion at the kernel
    > summit by (I think) Paul Mackerras. The question was how to make
    > sure we get all arch's in sync before doing a release.
    > It should be fairly straightforward thing to do for 2.6.x releases,
    > but during 2.5.x when stuff is changing so rapidly, it doesn't make
    > sense to hold up the majority of users just so the other archs can
    > play catch up.

    True; thats why I only started submitting these now we are feature
    chilled. I reckoned it was important not to get into the misconception
    we didn't have many bugs left because things were starting to chug along
    nicely on x86.

    > > Don't forget that ia64, x86-64 and s390 are all potentially growing
    > > users of Linux.
    > ia64 and x86-64 maybe, but s390 is way out of the pricerange of most
    > Linux users. Those who can afford it will likely use distro kernels anyway
    > due to the added support they paid for.

    True; but sometimes people have desires to run the same/similar kernel
    versions on all their systems and/or use some patches without having to
    have versions for all systems.

    > > Linux on ARM, MIPS and PPC also has a healthy band of
    > > productive (commercial and home) users.
    > Russell has done a great job at keeping ARM up to date in 2.5,
    > as have the PPC folks. For the most part, the archs aren't that
    > out of sync. (Insert comedy remark here about m68k being more
    > up to date than alpha).

    Indeed - (Alpha is actually one of the few non-x86 architectures
    that actually built fully for me in a recent 2.5.x - and made a passable
    attempt at booting)

    ---------------- Have a happy GNU millennium! ----------------------
    / Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
    \ gro.gilbert @ | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.021 / U:4.088 seconds]