SubjectRe: Usermode NFS - still in existence ?
On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 02:13:58PM -0800, Josh Brooks wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a system running a vendor supplied kernel that I do not have the
> ability to change. Further, it is modified enough that normal modules
> will not load into it - and of course I cannot compile modules to work
> with it since I don't have the source to the kernel.
>
> And for some reason they did not compile NFS in.
>
> And I need this system to be an NFS _client_.
>
> What are my options ? I see that at some point there was a usermode NFS
> ... does this still exist ? Is there some other way of mounting an NFS
> volume from userland - really any solution is fine, I just need to mount
> my nfs volume from this server.

Hmmm.

uname -r tells you the base-kernel and what you have to write into
"EXTRAVERSION".
uname -v tells you if you have a SMP or UP-Kernel.

Then you "guess" what CPU-Type was used.
A start-point for this guess is "uname -m".
For a non-specific kernel i would guess i386 (=i386) or Pentium (=i586).
For i686 you can normaly use the CPU from "/proc/cpuinfo".

This way you SHOULD be able to create a module that matches (more or
less) for the kernel you want to load it in.

At least i had luck with this method so far. :-)

Bis denn