    SubjectRe: Reserving physical memory at boot time
    On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Duncan Sands wrote:

    > I would like to reserve a particular page of physical memory when
    > the kernel boots. By reserving I mean that no one else gets to read
    > from it or write to it: it is mine. Any suggestions for the best way
    > to go about this with a 2.5 kernel?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Duncan.

    If you need a certain page reserved at boot-time you are out-of-luck.
    You can tell the kernel (using mem=xxx on the boot command line) that
    you have somewhat less memory than you do and then you can write a
    module that accesses the other memory that the kernel doesn't use.

    If you just want to make sure that your module owns a particular
    page that nobody else uses, just use ioremap() in your module to
    allocate a particular address. Those page(s) are now owned by
    your module and will never be paged. You can access those pages
    from user-space by providing some connectivity in your module
    (like read()/write()/ioctl()).

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    Bush : The Fourth Reich of America

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.025 / U:1.140 seconds]