    SubjectMicron Samurai chipset in 2.4.x (ide-pci.c)
    Hi All,
    I recently put together a system based on an off-cast mobo from
    a Micron Powerdigm XSU -- dual PII-266 and not much else. Problem was
    that most of the stock distros failed to boot the system at install. To
    make a long story short, the Samurai chipset's IDE controller is not
    connected, and there is an Intel PIIX4 to handle the IDE chains --
    unfortunately, both are seen by the PCI probing, and the kernel hangs
    trying to figure out how to handle the Samurai piece. I was able to get
    the system to boot by unsetting CONFIG_BLOCK_DEV_IDEPCI, but that seemed
    Draconian. I am now happily running having changed line 290 in
    linux/drivers/ide/ide-pci.c (kernel 2.4.20) from:
    #define INIT_SAMURAI NULL
    to:
    #define INIT_SAMURAI IDE_IGNORE

    When I checked the changelogs for 2.4.21-pre2, I saw comments
    that the pci subsystem had been reworked, so I tried that patch to no
    avail -- kernel still hangs trying to probe the disconnected IDE
    controller. However, my workaround is no longer valid, since ide-pci.c
    has been removed from the tree, and I haven't had the time yet to find
    where that functionality now resides (it did seem weird finding all
    those #defines in a .c instead of a .h).

    If anyone wants more info, I can post output from a serial
    console during the unsuccessful boots, and try other investigations as
    needed (at least until class starts again at the end of January). I'm
    not subscribed to this list (but will be checking the public archives
    frequently) so send mail directly or cc:

    Steve Brown
    sbrown7@umbc.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.019 / U:60.248 seconds]