    SubjectRE: Want a random entropy source?
    > Well, the 50hz from the mains isn't a perfect 50hz; it has random (yes)
    > fluctuations.
    JB> Yes, that's true.
    JB> More generally, though, is there any point in this going in to the
    JB> mainline kernel, if:
    JB> * Most users don't need faster entropy generation than we've got
    JB> and
    JB> * The entropy gathered from the soundcard is statistically inferior to
    JB> that gathered from the current sources of entropy.

    Well, there isn't any :o) That's why there's a user-level implementation
    for such a beast for those who do need it.
    ( )

    JB> I don't see how it's possible to guarantee that the data below a
    JB> certain dB level from the soundcard is noise.

    Some guy contacted me about audio-entropyd and told me he'd done a lot
    of analysis on all how this and gave me a few hints how to improve the
    quality of what is produced with this tool. A quick fourier-
    transformation doesn't really show any peaks.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.021 / U:2.904 seconds]