SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Type confusion in fbcon
On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Russell King wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 06:10:17PM +0000, James Simmons wrote:
> > > I'll get back to bashing the sa1100fb driver to work out why fbcon is
> > > producing a _completely_ blank display, despite characters being written
> > > to it.
> >
> > Did you figure out what was wrong?
>
> Firstly, setting fix.line_length to zero (which the old API didn't care
> about) caused one set of problems.

That's because originally there was no fix.line_length field, and the line
length was derived from var.xres_virtual and var.bits_per_pixel.

With some hardware, the line length must be a multiple of 32 or 64 bits, and we
needed a way to specify that, so fix.line_length was introduced. If it was
zero, user code should fallback to the old behavior.

Anyway, I think it's good to make fix.line_length mandatory with the new fbdev
API.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
Geert

-- Linus Torvalds