    SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Type confusion in fbcon
    On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Russell King wrote:
    > On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 06:10:17PM +0000, James Simmons wrote:
    > > > I'll get back to bashing the sa1100fb driver to work out why fbcon is
    > > > producing a _completely_ blank display, despite characters being written
    > > > to it.
    > >
    > > Did you figure out what was wrong?
    >
    > Firstly, setting fix.line_length to zero (which the old API didn't care
    > about) caused one set of problems.

    That's because originally there was no fix.line_length field, and the line
    length was derived from var.xres_virtual and var.bits_per_pixel.

    With some hardware, the line length must be a multiple of 32 or 64 bits, and we
    needed a way to specify that, so fix.line_length was introduced. If it was
    zero, user code should fallback to the old behavior.

    Anyway, I think it's good to make fix.line_length mandatory with the new fbdev
    API.

    Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

    Geert

    -- Linus Torvalds