    SubjectRe: Kernel GCC Optimizations
    On Saturday 21 December 2002 04:10 pm, wrote:
    > > > Is there any risk using -O3 instead of -O2 to compile the
    > > > kernel, and why?
    > >
    > > * It might uncover subtle bugs that would otherwise not occur.
    > I wonder: for the sake of performance and good use of the precious
    > clock- cycles, shouldn't there be made a start of fixing those
    > bugs? Assuming that the bugs you're talking about are not
    > compiler-bugs, they *are* bugs in the code that should be fixed,
    > shouldn't they?
    > > * Compiling with unusual options means that less people will know
    > > about any problems it causes you.
    > So, let's make it -O6 per default for 2.7.x/3.1.x?

    Let's not. I'd rather have the best kernel developers concentrating on
    finishing important kernel features rather than digging their way out
    of esoteric optimizer debugging sessions only to find it was a flaw
    in gcc. The difference in performance boost between -O2 and greater
    levels isn't usually enough to make a significant impact, not as
    significant as the introduction of important new features, for

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.067 / U:117.488 seconds]