    SubjectRe: Large block device patch, part 1 of 9
    Date
    Followup to:  <Pine.LNX.4.44.0209030113420.12861-100000@kiwi.transmeta.com>
    By author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > The printk warnings should be easy to fix once everybody uses the same
    > types - I think we right now have workarounds exactly for 64-bit machines
    > where w check BITS_PER_LONG and use different formats for them (exactly
    > because they historically have _not_ had the same types as the 32-bit
    > machines).
    >
    > However, if anybody on the list is hacking gcc, the best option really
    > would be to just allow better control over gcc printf formats. I have
    > wanted that in user space too at times. And it doesn't matter if it only
    > happens in new versions of gcc - we can disable the warning altogether for
    > old gcc's, as long as enough people have the new gcc to catch new
    > offenders..
    >
    > (I'd _love_ to be able to add printk modifiers for other common types in
    > the kernel, like doing the NIPQUAD thing etc inside printk() instead of
    > having it pollute the callers. All of which has been avoided because of
    > the hardcoded gcc format warning..)

    While we're talking about printk()... is there any reason *not* to
    rename it printf()?

    -hpa
    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <amsp@zytor.com>